The Buck Foundation awards grants only to 501(c)(3) organizations and non-governmental agencies. The Buck Foundation will not accept grant requests from individuals, for endowments, or for capital campaigns. We focus primarily on organizations with annual budgets under $1,000,000 where a small grant can make a significant impact.
The Buck Foundation makes both General Operations Support grants and Program Specific grants. General Operating Support provides unrestricted funding to help support and maintain an organization as it pursues its mission. This type of grant is flexible and gives the grantee the ability to use the funds where they are most appropriate. If you are requesting a General Operating Support grant you will be required to describe how the funds to be utilized. For Program Specific grants you will be expected to describe what the grant will be used for along with a program budget.
After funding any organization for three consecutive years, the Buck Foundation will consider a subsequent application only after a one year break. This requirement is intended to ensure that grantees do not become dependent upon any single source of funding in perpetuity and allows the Buck Foundation to expand its sphere of impact.
What We Do Not Fund
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, except to serve a historically disadvantaged group
- Debt retirement
- Activities, projects, or programs that will have been completed before funding becomes available (no retroactive funding)
- Endowments, or other reserve funds
- Capital campaigns
- Membership or affiliation campaigns, dinners, or special events
- Conferences, symposia, film and video production, and related travel
- Grants that further political doctrine or religious activities
- Grants to individuals
- Scholarships or sponsorships
- Grants to parochial or religious schools or private schools
- Requests from individual schools or departments/programs of universities or colleges
- Requests from foundations/organizations that raise money for individual schools that have not coordinated the request with their central school district/university administration or fundraising arm
- Grants for re-granting purposes
- Multi-year funding requests (Please note: the Buck Foundation, on rare occasions, provides grantees with multi-year grants. However, organizations cannot request such funding)