The Buck Foundation is a family foundation with a commitment to peace and social justice that supports underserved children, youth, women, and other marginalized communities.
We invest in nonprofits that strengthen communities and encourage people to become productive, thriving citizens.
The Buck Foundation accepts letters of inquiry from qualified organizations in Colorado, and from Hana in East Maui, Hawai’i, where the family has a long-standing history. Small grants have been made to nonprofit organizations outside of these geographic areas at the Board of Directors’ discretion.
The Foundation is both a strategic grantmaker and a responsive grantmaker. Our three focus areas and a summary are listed below:
- Initiatives to Prevent Homelessness & Provide Housing
- Welcoming & Supporting Immigrants and Refugees
- Responding to Critical Needs to Strengthen Communities
- The Buck Foundation supports organizations that help prevent homelessness and provide housing to those who desperately need it, influence policy that decriminalizes homelessness, and educate the public on the root causes of homelessness.
- The Buck Foundation makes an impact on the lives of immigrants and refugees by investing in organizations that welcome and support refugees and immigrants through legal support, community navigation, and advocacy for the humane treatment of undocumented families.
- The Buck Foundation’s responsive grants strengthen communities by supporting community resource centers, criminal justice reform, community farms and parks, youth skill-building programs, and by protecting democracy and peace.
2019 Grant cycle:
Our Letter of Inquiry for the 2019 grant cycle is now closed. Please contact us for more information.
Sept 1, 2018 Letter of Inquiry live on website (online application).
Oct 31, 2018 Letter of Inquiry closes.
The Executive Director and Grants Committee review all letters of inquiry.
Jan 15, 2019 Notification of letter of inquiry denial or advancement to full application sent to organizations.
Jan 15, 2019 Invitation to apply emailed to organizations whose applications are advancing.
March 27, 2019 Application closes.
The Executive Director and Grants Committee review full applications and make recommendations to the Board of Directors.
The Buck Foundation Board of Directors reviews applications and makes final award and denial decisions.
Aug 15, 2019 Denial or Acceptance letters sent to all applicants.